Extreme makeover: dresser edition
Here’s a project I’ve been working on, that I just finished last weekend. This old dresser was in our family before I was… it was purchased sometime in the 1950s. It went with me when I moved out on my own, and over the years it’s been taken to eleven different homes in four cities or towns.
Stains, watermarks, a bent drawer pull and another one you had to pull only from the left side, or the front of the drawer would come loose…it was looking a bit of a wreck, but other than the wonky drawer the construction is sturdy, so I decided it was time for a makeover.
I sketched out a few ideas….
… and took a pillowcase to the paint store so they could scan it and match the colours with the colour-matching-scanner-thingy (actually called a spectrophotometer) which is pretty cool, you can take in almost anything in a colour you like and get paint mixed to match.
I pictured this taking a couple of evenings…. silly me! It was definitely a bigger project than I anticipated… glue, spackle, sand, spackle, sand, prime, prime, paint, sand, paint… the bottom drawer had grooved lines and Xs that took filling and sanding a few times before it was smooth. Nothing was a standard size, as I found when it came to measure for holes for the drawer pulls, so it took some fancy math and even then I got one of them in the wrong place (spackle, sand, paint again).
The thirsty old wood really soaked up the paint, I nearly ran out! The brown paint looked like melted chocolate and was a pleasure to work with, but I had my doubts about the blue as it was looking quite gray and cement-like, and took several coats before it dried to an even finish. Fortunately, once the drawers were put in place and the dresser was next to the bedding of the same colour it looked much better. I had originally planned to paint patterns or borders, but once the handles were attached it seemed like it didn’t need anything else.
Clean, simple and modern.
All that was left was adding some scented paper liners in the drawers.