As usual, I have more plans for Christmas than I do time to execute them, but here’s a project I just completed. This is my version of the wreaths Starbucks decorated their stores with last year, featuring balls of yarn. (yarn! how could I not make one of these?)
The whole thing was inexpensive to make… all the supplies were found at Michael’s or a dollar store (and most of them 50% off, which I guess shows how late I left this).
The base is a wire wreath form. I used yarn in two shades of green, and wound it around styrofoam balls. I glued the end of the yarn to the ball, wound it til it was covered, and used a dab of glue to fasten the other end of the yarn. This step took the longest, due to my perfectionist tendency to want the yarn lined up in nice straight bands around the balls… if I was less picky it would have gone a lot faster! (After uploading the photo I noticed a strand of yarn out of place… I must admit to going straight over and straightening it. Why I’m not this fastidious about other things, like housework, I’ll never know). I poked wire through each ball and fastened it to the base (with the glued end of yarn hidden). Then comes the easy part where you can go to town with the hot glue gun, adding an assortment of ball ornaments, starting with the large ones and filling in any gaps with smaller ones, until the base is completely hidden.